HindsFamily Blog

Find out what fun things we have been up to!

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Wonderings...

I've been feeling very discouraged at my job lately. I've been having trouble putting into words why this may be, so I thought I'd try to write it out.
I know that I like kids. It's why I wanted to be a teacher. I've talked with my assistant principal and she asked me, "Why did you get into teaching?"
"Because I love kids." I respond.
"Then just love them." She replies.
It sounds so easy.
 Being a teacher is way more than just loving my students, which I do.
I get discouraged because a lot of my students have bad attitudes and bad manners and lack social grace.
Now, to be fair, I said a lot...I know that a lot of my kids are good. I'm just finding it harder and harder to focus on them. And, I also know as a teacher that I'm supposed to teach them these things that they lack. AND, I  know that they are only 13...But, in the course of a class period or a day, how is this possible?
 I also feel resentful to some of the parents. As a parent, I am teaching my children these basic social skills, so why aren't they? Yes, I know that they are probably trying. Yes, I know that a lot of them worry about where their next meal is coming from. Yes, they are probably thinking too, in the course of a day, how is this possible. But, it makes my job hard when I have to teach 40 or so kids that they should say excuse me when they bump into someone.
I also have issues with the educational system in general. I know I can't control that. That doesn't make it any easier to deal with. Something is not right in our system and things need to change.
So, my question to myself is, can I continue to be a teacher? If I leave my urban school district for a suburban one, will it be any better? Should I even be teaching? There are other ways for me to work with kids without feeling so much stress....right? I know I will figure out the right answer for myself and my family, I just hope it happens before I end up in the crazy house in a straight jacket....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.